Saturday, April 11, 2015

Pebble Steel Vs Apple Watch


I had my appointment to book a try out appointment on Friday.  I tried the 38 mm and 42 mm Apple Watch Sport and the 42 mm stainless edition with the leather loop trap.  The leather loop trap is my favour trap and the one that I want the most.  But it's only compatible with 42 mm and it is pretty expensive ... However, the leather loop trap is really comfortable and feels really good.

One of the things that I didn't know before was which size to pre-order for the Apple Watch (one of the other things also includes ... why do I need one).  So, I asked for two different size of watch to try it out and I compared with the Pebble Steel.

From the following photos, you can see how each model compare to Pebble Steel.

Pebble Steel vs 38 mm Apple Watch Sport white
Pebble Steel vs 42 mm Apple Watch Sport (space grey) 
Apple Watch Sport 38 mm (white) and 42 mm (space grey)
Apple Watch 42 mm with blue leather loop

Before the try out appointment, I pre-ordered the 38 mm space grey online in the morning around 3:18 am (ET) after waking up by my 3 months old baby.  But I still have to wait for  4 to 6 weeks before it's delivered ... anyway, that's a different story.  I felt 38 mm is probably the best option considered I don't have a really big and long arm.  But after trying the 42 mm one and compare with my Pebble Steel size by size, I'm a bit confused now.  The 42 mm Apple Watch is basically the same size as my Pebble Steel only a bit thicker (should have taken a photo from the side).  But I'm not sure and don't want to pay that extra $70 for 42 mm ... yeah, I lived in Canada and it's more expensive :(

I'll likely stick with 38 mm only because it's 1st generation and I still don't know if it's worth the price.  So far I think Pebble might be more practical because I only needed the basic functionality.  The battery life and always-on are two very useful and important features for watches.  At the same time, when I'm home with my kids, I can see the following situations that Apple Watch would be useful

  • I can actual picking up phone call from my watch and not looking for my phone
  • Reply text message directly without looking for my phone
  • The remote app will allow me to control iTune without looking for my phone

I prefer to put my phone away when I'm with my kids (trying to be a role model and pay 100% attention to them).  Currently, I can know if the call or message is important enough for me to reach/look for my phone.  But with Apple Watch, I don't even have to look for my phone, I can do all above directly with the watch.

I know they are not good reasons to spend money on gadgets.  But again, there is never good reasons and most of the gadgets are not necessary.  I think I like it, I want it are probably good enough reasons for it.  Anyway, waiting for it to deliver and try it out in real life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment