Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Pebble and Misfit iOS Sleep Tracking

Sleep is probably the most important status that I care and track.  I have been using my iPhone with Sleep Cycle App to track my sleep.  After I got my Pebble, I have been use Misfit to track my sleep and my steps pretty much 24/7.

In general, Misfit tracks my sleep relatively well.  There are not a lot of information that explains how Misfit calculate the restful sleep time.  On a typical night, it displays the following information for the previous night sleep.  It tells you the total sleep time and your restful sleep time.  It also shows you a little graph indicate when you're in restful sleep at the bottom of the screen.


Misfit can also present your data in a weekly view.  It indicates your average and your daily sleep time against your sleep goal.  Oh yeah, you can set your goal.  I have set my goal to be 7 hours a day ... probably a luxury for some people :)


One thing that is really cool about the Misfit is that you don't have to do anything before you sleep.  Misfit magically figures out that you're sleeping (most likely based on your movement) and start tracking your sleep instead of steps.  Of course, it does make some mistakes from time to time.  For example, if I put my watch on my desk before I go out to play basketball, it would think that I'm already sleeping and start tracking.  But I'm actually out playing basketball ... Because of this, I have to turn off the activity tracking overtime I took my Pebble watch off for shower or anything ... That being said, I forgot to turn on the activity tracking back so I missed the sleep tracking quite a few times.

Another thing I like about Misfit is that it is actually able to track your sleep in segments.  I just had a little baby girl two months ago so I have been waking up in the middle of the night.  Misfit is able to figure out that I was awake for about 40 minutes before I went back to sleep.  See the screen shots from the same night below.


I have used Morpheuz app on Pebble to track my sleep too. It does track the sleep but I doesn't store the sleep stats as well.  It only kept the detailed movement graph for one day and you can import them to iOS Health app to store permanently.  But health app only shows the sleeping hour and not the quality of it.  So, I like Misfit for my sleep tracking purpose better at least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment